Nov 9, 2009

Windows 7 - Thoughts

SO I just installed Windows 7 on the rig. The installation process as has been noted by several others, was quick and painless. (I did try to upgrade as I was using Vista Premium, however, due to the nature of my setup it was too much and kept failing out. Didn't mind as I wanted to start from scratch.) After the comp came back from being installed, drivers updating took place, and this took about a day and a half due to a slow internet connection. (which cannot be attributed negatively to Microsoft). To Micro's credit Windows 7 handles driver installs way better than it's predecessors. The only latent issue I'm having currently is a missing AMD Live! driver (I'm about 90% sure this is what it is), and a Creative X-Fi Elite Pro driver that works without crackling, loud distortions, and popping. (I'm using a Bluetooth earpiece and the stacks' audio driver as a make shift solution)

The GUI is fantastic. Microsoft put a lot of thought into this. I like all the new Aero features. (Aero peek, etc.) One feature I really like is the cleaned up taskbar icons feature. I REALLY like that.

My one complaint thus far is I wish the sleep, log off, lock buttons, etc. looked the way they did in Vista.

(Vista Start Menu)































I don't like how it's just one button now. I think it's looks cheap, corny, and not as refined as the rest of the GUI.

(Windows 7 Start Menu)
Small complaint I know, and I'm sure there is a probably a way to alter this. Just don't feel like digging.

A few other things I really like are the improved device manager, the startup, shutdown, and sleep times. It also plays much nicer with the Mimo Monitor despite all of the peripherals I am using.


(Mimo 710S)

-Matt Fu

No comments:

Post a Comment