Nov 20, 2012

LG Optimus G and why it's for me


My justification on getting the LG Optimus G on At&t (it being on At&t is an important distinction):
1.) The phone is the basis for the Google Nexus 4, save it's design is nicer. I perfer the blocky lock. This also means it is currently hardware wise the strongest SoC in a phone on the market. This will change within the hour (j/k) but for what it's worth you have that.
2.) 2gb RAM. This is important particularly in the Android domain, as the more RAM you have the less application crashing and home screen crashing you will have. This crashing behavior is apparent on my current mini pro (only has 512 meg RAM) and the iPad 1 (only has 256 meg RAM) which both crash almost constantly.
3.) Expandable memory. It has a microSD slot. The Nexus 4 does not, and the Optimus G international and Sprint versions do not.
4.) LTE. This is nice but not really that serious to me I've been happy with what the mini has been able to provide (3g+). Still i should be able to get faster speeds on my phone the my home connection.
5.) the phone has already been rooted.
6.) unlocking of the bootloader is being worked on, and there are clear signs it can be accomplished. If this were to happen you could put whatever ROM you want on the phone. The obvious choice, being the Nexus 4 ROM. Since the hardware is almost identical, minus wireless charging in the G, this would almost a be plug and play option. The robust XDA crowd will have it sorted in now time. Which means you'd have a Nexus 4 on a better more expandable platform, with LTE.
7.) Price. Subsidized it's $100-150 cheaper. Since you'll be paying for the wireless plan anyway why not lock yourself in? That said, I FULLY support Google's initiative by making the phone affordable, unlocked, and off contract. I believe anything that gives the consumer more choice should be applauded. The wireless carrier systems in the US are just out dated and stupid.

Now let's assume it's discovered that the bootloader cannot be unlocked, at least for now. Well then at least LG has promised Jelly Bean, and the current ICS build is basically vanilla, with some aesthetic tweaks being the only real exception. With root you can restore hot spot functionality. Hot spot or wireless APs are another real sore issue I have with US carriers. I'm paying for data. How I use that data is my business. If I want to allow my laptop to use some of that data why does AT&T care? Because their greedy. The work around in all of my phones has been to circumvent their ridicules need to charge me for it as soon as possible.

This phone over an iPhone 5? I'm not really able to make that distinction. For me? Heck yes, 100%, all the way. This phone would be your phone, where as the iPhone is apple's phone and they just let you put your stuff on it. (provided you don't jail break it. Jail broken, the iPhone becomes a VERY compelling device.) For most people. Any smartphone on the market is probably too much. So I would just say go with whatever is cheapest. Get a 4S or a Galaxy S2 for $.01 and call it a day.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? (Please excuse any typos)

No comments:

Post a Comment