Dec 5, 2012

Jaybird and Sennheiser Bluetooth Audio


Jaybird may not be a name you recognize or have ever heard of. I got wind of them through an Engadget post some years ago. I was intrigued. I am of the opinion that bluetooth in general is pretty under utilized in our overly tech based existences. I suppose the fact that hardware which supports bluetooth tends to be a bit pricey has something to do with as well as initial performance constraints in using bluetooth for audio.


Above is the Sportsband model. This is the version I have. I got it for use with my desktop. A lot of times while using the computer I disturb my family (video games, movies, etc.). I started using some wired over the ear cans (Bose and some skull candy ones) but found that while the audio produced was accurate and nice, it felt like I was tethering myself to my desk. If I needed to get up quickly I would trip on the cord  putting stress on the jack on the computer and the headphones.

Jaybird products are really designed for exercise. They come with a lifetime sweat warranty, and are generally built to withstand a bit more punishment than the average pair of headphones, which is nice, because you are certainly paying for it.

So with the headphones taken care of the last issue was getting a strong bluetooth connection and a decent codex for sound quality. My computer case is a tall lumbering aluminum case, and as such the built in bluetooth radio just did not have the power to get past it. This meant stuttering and just in general poor sound quality.


Enter the Sennheiser BTD 500 Bluetooth USB Dongle. You can generally get BT dongles for under $20. This one is slightly more but supports the apt-X profile, which offers a much improved audio quality. All of this adds up to a very nice listening experience, with freedom to move.

In a nutshell BT audio has come a long way. Gone are the days of staticky mono sound. These are some pretty pricey quality solutions but are by no means the only solutions. Just ensure your products support AD2P and if possible apt-X and you're good. Enjoy wireless listening.

-Matt-Fu

No comments:

Post a Comment