Oct 5, 2013

Gravity

I have never written about a movie before. I never really found a movie worth the effort or time. Today, however, I watched Gravity. Directed by Alfonso Cuarón and starring Sandra Bullock, George Clooney, and Ed Harris among others it chronicles the struggle Bullock and Clooney go through when an accident occurs marooning them to the endless expanse of space; the ever present image of Earth shadowing them. Before we go any further let me be frank about one thing:

Warning: This may contain spoilers. You've been warned. 

Putting into words how I felt as I watched this movie and after I left the theater is more difficult than I imagined. The easiest word to use, which may at first sight appear too much,but I assure you is closer to the mark than even I would have initially thought, is awe. Mr. Cuarón who is responsible among other films (He did a Harry Potter movie) for the brilliant Children of Men movie has out done himself here. His cinematography is nothing short of a masterpiece. This movie is both a work of art as it is a gripping realistic look into the great unknown that is space. Every element has been masterfully put into place. From the building roar of noise in the opening of the film, to the choir of completion at the end. The overwhelming realism used throughout the entire movie is as refreshing as it is terrifying.Without going off the deep end, and without droning on, I highly encourage anyone with even a passing interest in space and the majesty it contains to check this movie out. You will not be disappointed.

-Matt-Fu

No comments:

Post a Comment